I've always appreciated the way that quizzes and questionnaires reveal a portrait of a person. I love finding out small details about people that make them unique, quirky, or offer points of comparison or connection. I saw these recently on Lindsey's blog and thought I'd follow suit. As Lindsey explains, these were originally used to interview Anna Wintour, so I altered them a bit to fit my life and locale.
1. How long have you been in the area?
I've lived in the Midwest for a decade now. I've lived in Ohio for almost 3 years and before that Central Illinois. I was born in Alabama and grew up along the Gulf Coast for most of my life.
2. What’s your favorite season in the Midwest? in the South?
I love Fall in the Midwest. I love how the leaves change and the first snaps of cold. In the South, I love January because it finally cools off to where you can breathe a bit and wear sweaters relatively comfortably.
3. What’s your favorite activity in the Midwest? in the South?
bonfires, roasting marshmallows for S'mores or sitting around a firepit. In the South, I love being near the water, swimming or dipping my toes in. I can't stay outside too long because I sunburn easily, but nothing beats a lazy day near the ocean. S'mores come close.
4. Would you ever go back to the South?
Maybe. I'm a nomad. I've been moving for most of my life, and it's hard for me to know where I might land.
5. What are three words to describe living in the Midwest? in the South?
Midwest: friendly, changeable, festivals
South: hot, nostalgic, family
6. What’s your favorite movie?
The Big Lebowski
7. Favorite movie in past five years?
Up or The Harry Potter films
8. Favorite Hitchcock film?
To Catch a Thief
9. Favorite TV show that’s currently on?
Well, it's latest season isn't back yet, but I love Hannibal. I also find Brooklyn Nine-Nine hysterical, though I don't watch it each week.
10. What’s a book you plan on reading?
Americanah by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie
11. A book you read in school that positively shaped you?
Kate Chopin's The Awakening
12. A book you read in school that you never think of?
The Last of the Mohicans by James Fennimore Cooper
13. On a scale of one to ten how excited are you about life right now?
Once I feel better and get rid of this sinus infection, it will move up, but about a 7.
14. iPhone or Android?
15. Twitter or Instagram?
16. Vine or Snapchat?
17. Who should EVERYONE be following right now?
@lenadunham, @swopes, @therealjimparsons, @emhenderson
18. What’s the coolest thing in this room?
my signed copy of To Kill A Mockingbird
19. What’s your favorite restaurant?
Girl & the Goat in Chicago is where we got engaged so it has particularly special memories and the food is amazing. When I visit my brother in Birmingham, it's a must to go to Saw's Juke Joint. It's one of my favorite places to eat.
20. What’s your favorite food?
chocolate malt shake, also I love Mexican food
21. Least favorite food?
anything really spicy, also I hate onions
22. What do you love on your pizza?
goat cheese and mushrooms
23. Favorite drink?
24. Favorite dessert?
something with ice cream, or the S'mores dessert at Destihl
25. Dark chocolate or milk chocolate?
26. Weirdest thing you’ve ever eaten?
27. What’s the hardest part about being a mom?
I don't have children but I expect it's the immense pressure to balance your needs with the need to be there for your children.
28. What’s your favorite band?
29. Favorite solo artist?
30. Favorite lyrics?
I hope you don't mind, that I put down into words, how wonderful life is now you're in the world. Is there a better sentiment for a love song?
31. If your life were a song, what would the title be?
32. If you could sing a duet with anyone, who would it be?
33. If you could master one instrument, what would it be?
34. If you had a tattoo, where would it be?
If I were to get another tattoo, I want one on my inner wrist of my Aquarius sign.
35. To be or not to be?
36. What’s Oprah like in person?
I imagine she is warm but intense. And probably laughs a lot.
37. What number of question was this?
38. Dogs or cats?
It depends. I don't have either. I prefer fish.
39. Kittens or puppies?
40. Dolphins or koalas?
41. Bird-watching or whale-watching?
42. What’s your spirit animal?
43. Best gift you’ve ever received?
anniversary trip to Puerto Rico
44. Last gift you gave a friend?
45. A person you want to have coffee with?
Robin Roberts from Good Morning America
46. A historical figure you’d love to have coffee with?
47. How do you like your coffee?
with foamed milk
48. Can I play a note on this piano?
I don't have a piano but you could play a record.
49. What’s your favorite curse word?
50. What’s your favorite board game?
51. What’s your favorite country to visit?
I loved England, but I haven't been to many places.
52. What’s the last country you visited?
53. What country do you wish to visit?
54. What sports team do you follow?
I grew up an Atlanta Braves fan, but I've been a Cardinals fan via my relationship with M. Also since moving to the Midwest, I've become an Indianapolis Colts and more recently a Bengals fan. I'm not incredibly loyal to my sports teams, I guess.
55. Can you write down your favorite word that starts and ends with the same vowel?
56. What’s your favorite color?
57. Least favorite color?
I'm not a huge fan of peach or pastel pink.
58. What color dress did you wear to your prom?
59. Diamonds or pearls?
60. Cheap shampoo or expensive?
61. Blow-dry or air-dry?
How much time do I have? I will blow-dry my hair if I have time, otherwise I will air dry.
62. Heels or flats?
Flats, and comfortable ones
63. Can you give an impersonation of someone?
No, I'm terrible at impressions.
64. Can you do the same impersonation with a British accent?
65. What are you most afraid of?
not being good enough
66. What else scares you?
I'm terrified of rodents, and bats. And really small spaces.
67. Pilates or yoga?
68. Jogging or swimming?
69. Best way to decompress?
Meditate, eat chocolate, and play my favorite record, Elton John's Goodbye Yellowbrick Road
70. If you had one superpower, what would it be?
time travel, for sure
71. Can you describe an experience you felt most nervous?
getting married, the ceremony was nerve wracking to me
72. What’s the weirdest word in the English language?
I don't know if it's the weirdest but I find the word pernicious, meaning harmful, annoys me because my students use it and I think they're trying to sound more intelligent but it often comes off just wrong.
73. Last question: Is this the strangest interview you’ve ever had?
What about you? How would answer these? What kind of portrait do your answers paint?