This is my 2nd year setting year-long goals I want to accomplish by my birthday. And while I feel good about what I did this year, I recognize that some of the ideas I had lost my interest or become impossible as circumstances change. Still, I like putting into the universe things I want to happen so I think I will try modifying my approach for the 35 in 35 list this year.
Here's where the 34 list stands:
1. Blog 3x times a week. In hindsight, this might have been a bit ambitious. However, in looking back over blog posts for #reverb12 and for my year-in-review post, I am happy with what I wrote. I'm calling this an accomplishment!
2. Keep a plant alive for a season. I initally thought this goal would help in my thinking about tending, but perhaps it was too physical, too tangible of a goal, but I never really committed to it so it didn't happen.
3. Be More Playful. I pushed myself out of my comfort zone quite a bit with this one. And I'm happy about the things I learned as I invited play and silliness into my life more.
4. Complete 365 project. Most of my pics of the day ended up in my PL album. I plan to do this again in 2013 in some way.
5. Read 15 books. I achieved this goal, which made me incredibly happy because I was able to enrich my life with so many great books. I actually read 18 books this year.
6. Complete Project Life. I deeply enjoyed this process and am doing it again in 2013.
7. Try a new cheese each month. I lost interest in this because as I tried to be healthier, I mostly ate feta, goat cheese and Havarti. Though at Christmas, I indulged and we tried truffle gouda, a creamy brie-like cheese, and a few others.
8. Visit Washington D.C. Had plans for this but they didn't happen.
9. Tour a Lighthouse. Nope.
10. Visit the Smithsonian. Still waiting.
11. Make a monthly playlist. Going to be doing this again this year, as well, just because I love it.
12. Watch the sunrise. Yep! A few times and photographed a few. Yay!
13. Say yes to something scary. I feel like taking a chance on the teaching position I am in now qualifies. I've also said yes to some smaller scary things, as well like Zombie Zumba and hanging out with a few new people I have met here.
14. Go on a picnic. Kind of.
15. Learn to use my speedlight flash. Did not get around to this, though we played with it a few times.
16. Visit a winery. Nope.
17. Make tiramusu. I didn't try this but I might in the future.
18. See five live events. I saw plays and concerts and had a lot of fun reaching this goal.
19. Random Acts of Kindness. While I did not designate an entire day to this, each week, I tried to do something small and simple as a show of kindness to someone.
20. Swim. Not really achievable at this point.
21. Make homemade meatballs. Tried one recipe but it wasn't very good. Will try again in the future.
22. Cook 12 new recipes (and blog about them). I have facebooked a lot of my attempts at creating pesto/goat cheese combinations but haven't been wholeheartedly committed to this goal. May try again in the new year, especially as I continue to try healthier options.
23. Do something creative every week. This has been challenging but I've tried to take photographs, make bracelets, and work on scrapbooking as well as design some web things. I don't know if it's been every week but certainly better than most years.
24. Stay in a bed and breakfast. I think I like the idea of this much more than the actuality.
25. Make my own artwork (and display it). I have a really good idea for this. I did show my photographs this year but when I set this goal, I was thinking about paint.
26. Express my gratitude every day. I used a grateful journal and will probably do something similar this year because I believe it will help me remain open to possibilities.
27. Ride in a hot air balloon. Again, I'm not sure if I like the idea of this or really want to do it. I'm putting this on hold.
28. Grow my hair out and not cut it. I feel like I have done an excellent job with this! I have trimmed it occasionally to give it shape and recently cut it into a kind of bob and I love it.
29. Watch all the movies nominated for an Oscar this year. Yay! It took me all year, but I did it.
30. Wear all my perfume or get rid of the ones that have expired. Threw out a lot during the moving process and while I haven't worn all of what I have, I haven't bought any new perfume, either so yay.
31. Grow an herb garden. Maybe next year.
32. Organize my recipes. Still in process.
33. Draw a heart in the sand and photograph it. Yes!
34. Memorize 3 poems. Yes! "The Laughing Heart," "Ghost in the Land of Skeletons" and "somewhere I have traveled."