35 (random and possibly secret) things about me
1. I read something about my Aquarian self every day. Sometimes this means reading my twittascope, which I highly recommend, by the way. But sometimes it means going deeper, reading detailed horoscopes or profiles.
2. I believe we are complex arrangements of where we have been, who we have met, things we have seen, lessons we learn, and things we want to do and see.
3. I have never seen the film Citizen Kane.
4. The only Jane Austen book I have read is Sanditon and that was for a class I took in my Master's program. I just can't get into it. Also, not a big fan of Bronte's Wuthering Heights, though I did finish it.
5. I desperately want to go to Ireland.
6. I think sheep are really cool. (Though that isn't why I want to go to Ireland).
7. I find it fascinating how we, as humans, adapt to situations, locales, routines. I found my old journals from when I was in England and it struck me how everything seems so amazing when you visit somewhere, the whole tourist on vacation thing but when you begin a kind of daily life in a place, it becomes something else.
8. Which reminds me that being mindful is a practice. We have to practice awareness of the cool and great things in our lives every day. Sure, sometimes it feels like it's easier when there are actual castles and historic sites and things we've never seen before, but appreciating what you have and where you are is important, too.
9. I have a secret desire to attend small town festivals.
10. Sometimes when I'm having a really tough or crappy day, I think, "Well, at least I'm not living in the Supernatural/Lost Girl/Buffy universe, fighting some kind of weird demon/fae/vampire or trying to prevent the impending apocalypse."
11. I didn't drink coffee regularly until I was in my mid-twenties and in my Master's program. Now, I can't survive without at least one cup a day. (This could also be because I gave up soda a year ago, but still need the caffeine).
12. I have been blogging, in some form, for almost a decade.
13. Even though it is a completely manufactured flavor, I love blue-raspberry.
14. I love watches, which is funny because I am late a lot. I love big, bulky, watches. Currently I wear a DKNY watch that also tells me which day of the month it is and has some other features I don't know how to read.
15. I have no interest in sky-diving. Ever.
16. I do, however, want to zip line, but somewhere cool. And also safe-ish.
17. I am really glad I no longer get HGTV. In addition to being a time suck, it kind of makes me feel awful about the world and also my own decorating style, or lack thereof.
18. I am sad, however, that I do not get the Travel Channel, anymore. They should make a service where you can just subscribe to the content you want. Or put Travel Channel shows on Hulu.
19. If I could play any instrument it would be the harmonica. Or spoons. Both of which fit in your pocket.
20. When I finished reading, Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro, I was really sad because I would never be able to read it for the first time again. I also felt that way about The Unbearable Lightness of Being by Milan Kundera. (Please do not see either film before you read the books, if you are interested. In fact skip Never Let Me Go's film altogether).
21. I like to talk through my ideas, and I thrive off of conversation, connection, collaboration.
22. But I recharge like an introvert, alone and in the quiet.
23. I adore handwriting, though I think my own is terrible. I love handwritten notes, cards, fonts that look like handwriting.
24. If I were to go back to school or undertake serious study in something, I would want to study the brain, maybe neuroscience.
25. I smile a lot. Though I can be way too serious for my own good, little things make me happy, so I smile. I won't notice I am smiling until someone smiles back or I see my own reflection, sometimes.
26. I love watching TV series, marathon-style, over weeks and months at a time. I have a Gilmore Girls marathon every year, usually in the Summer. I have also watched the entirety of Sex and the City more than once, though I exclude the films. I've seen every episode (except the newest season) of Supernatural at least 4 times if not more. I own all 3 of those series but have watched a lot of other series, including LOST on Netflix.
27. Every time I lock the door, I do a silly dance so that when I am anxious, later, about whether I locked the door, I can say to myself, "Remember, you did that silly dance?" (I read about the benefits of doing these kinds of things to stave off anxiety, but can't remember where).
28. The sound of a key turning in a lock kind of scares me. I don't know if it's the anticipation or if I've seen one too many horror films. Even when I open my own door, I hate the sound of metal against the lock.
29. Actually, I am not a fan of the sound of metal, in any form, crashing, clanging, or even magnets against metal. There must be some pitch it hits that bothers me.
30. Sometimes I wish time travel were possible, so I could send a letter to myself through time and it would say, "Chill the f' out." And also, "You are amazing. You could have so much happiness if you could believe that." And definitely, "It's going to be okay."
31. I have dreamt in black and white, and in French. It wasn't the same dream, thankfully. I have also had a dream narrated by Bill Kurtis (a CBS news anchorman and also narrator of Cold Case Files and other similar shows). It was a really weird dream, obviously, and involved zombies and fire. ( I almost wrote immolation instead of fire, and then wondered if that was the correct word so I looked it up, in an actual dictionary, and it wasn't exactly so I left it at fire).
32. I am a terrible singer. And tone deaf.
33. I get nervous on the first day of class every semester, every class. It's also one of my favorite days, when everything is new and you have a blank slate, especially in freshmen classes.
34. I have a school supply/office supply fetish. Post-it notes and pens. Blank journals!
35. I hate when people ask me my favorite book/song/movie of all time. I cannot choose.