#reverb12: year-in-review meme
A few years ago, Lindsey posted a year-in-review meme; I responded to it last year and the year before, and thought I'd give it a go again. What I like about this meme is that I can reflect thoughtfully but quickly in a way that encapsulates some things I may not have mentioned in #reverb12 posts.
1. What did you do in 2012 that you’d never done before?
Visited Rhode Island. Committed to a work-out routine, and healthier habits and stuck with it (sometimes waking up very early to hit the gym)! Moved to Ohio. Voted in a swing state. Bowled a 200 game. Went on hikes. Zombie Zumba! Held my niece and got to spend Thanksgiving with her.
2. Did you keep your new year’s resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
As you know by now, I choose a word to frame the year's intention rather than make resolutions and as I've mentioned before, I believe that "tend" was an amazing word for 2012. It allowed me permission to focus on myself, my happiness, on my health and my relationships. I also set goals that I want to accomplish each year before my next birthday. Some of them no longer inspire me or other goals like getting healthy outweigh them. But for the most part, I'm happy with what I accomplished in 2012. I will definitely set goals for 2013 in a variety of ways as I pursue openness and all that it will bring.
3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
My sister-in-law, Joanna, had my beautiful and amazing niece, Grace. I couldn't be happier with the time I've been able to spend with my brother, Joanna and Grace. Friends from grad school and now Facebook had babies, as well, and I lived vicariously through their photos.
4. Did anyone close to you die?
Thankfully, no. Though many in my family battled health problems of one kind or another and I really hope that 2013 brings healing and health to them.
5. What countries did you visit?
6. What would you like to have in 2013 that you lacked in 2012?
Research projects underway, moving toward publication, less attachment to sugar, more money in savings, larger blog readership
7. What dates from 2012 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
March 7, the day my niece was born; May 1, the day I stopped drinking soda and started focusing on my health; I'm not really good with dates but I'll remember how it felt to have all of my things in a moving truck and to be stepping toward the unknown; I'll remember the numerous four hour drives to Champaign and back, what it's like to live in two places at once. I will remember how my heart broke for all the victims of hurricanes, tornadoes, floods, and weather related disasters and how it shattered even more for the victims of gun violence this year.
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
Losing over 60 pounds, trusting myself and the messages of the universe
9. What was your biggest failure?
10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
nothing too terrible; I got a cold after Thanksgiving and had an ear infection and terrible cold around Christmas
11. What was the best thing you bought?
the iPad Mini
12. Where did most of your money go?
bills, moving, car-related expenses and other stuff
13. What did you get really excited about?
Skyping with my brother, the start of a new semester, the trip to Raleigh in May for CW, all the books I read, brunches with M
14. What song(s) will always remind you of 2012?
"We Are Young" by fun. "Anna Sun" by Walk the Moon, "Ho Hey" by the Lumineers, "Stronger" by Kelly Clarkson, "Everybody Talks" Neon Trees; the list goes on.
15. Compared to this time last year, are you:
– happier or sadder? Happier.
– thinner or fatter? thinner
– richer or poorer? Probably a bit poorer
16. What do you wish you’d done more of?
17. What do you wish you’d done less of?
18. How did you spend Christmas?
battling a cold, hanging with M's family, well-fed and content
19. What was your favorite TV program?
I survived election year thanks to Rachel Maddow and Jon Stewart. I was blown away by this season's "Sherlock." I think "Supernatural" is in its strongest seasons yet, but perhaps that's because I spent the last half of this year, studying it. I got back into "Grey's Anatomy, which I have mixed feelings about;" continued with "The Vampire Diaries," which I'm also mixed about. But I also surprisingly enjoyed "Nashville."In 2013, I want to catch up on some half-hour shows. But I might just watch movies, instead.
20. What were your favorite books of the year?
The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern, The Tiger's Wife by Tea Obrecht, both of which I listened to on CD.
21. What was your favorite music from this year?
I listened to a lot of Silversun Pickups, AWOLNation, and The Black Keys. Also, see this post.
22. What were your favorite films of the year?
I didn't go to the movies much this year. I finally saw The Artist, which was amazing. I loved Moonrise Kingdom. The Dark Knight Rises was mesmerizing. And when Skyfall was over, I wanted to see it again.
23. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
I turned 34 in January and celebrated with balloons and dinner out at an awesome local restaurant, Luna.
24. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
to live in the same town as M
25. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2012?
I would describe my fashion in 2012 as having a split personality. I was either in workout gear or dress pants. Because most of my jeans were too big and because I wanted to be more professional once I started my new job, most of 2012 was spent in black and grey with a few pops of color thrown in. I fell in love with purple and blue-green this year and also even wore some pink!
26. What kept you sane?
Workouts, my workout playlist, Michelle. Brianne. My mom. Conversations with new colleagues and old friends. Coffee. Green tea.
27. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2012.