1.The smell of coffee is like perfume to me. I love walking down the coffee aisle in grocery stores that have the grinders where you can ground your own beans. I love writing in coffee shops all day and the way my bag smells afterwards.
2. When I was around 8 years old I used to record myself reading pieces of the newspaper, and as part of it I’d give movie reviews though I hadn’t actually seen the movies. So I would give suggestions based on who was in it and what I thought the plot was from the trailers I’d seen. I was into recording everything, snippets of conversations, commercials on TV, the radio. I’d walk around with a bulky tape recorder my grandparents gave me just recording life as it happened.
3. I love going to the movies. There’s something about sitting in the dark with a bunch of people, experiencing the escape of a film together that I love. I’ve only walked out of a few movies even though I saw some terrible films. One of them I can’t remember the name of but it was a werewolf movie that was just awful. In college, I had a friend who worked at a movie theater and used to give me passes for movies. I saw some of the best and worst films of the 90’s and early 2000’s thanks to him.
4. I'm not really a morning person, but scheduling has required me to attempt to do better at mornings. As a lifelong night owl, I have trouble with mornings. I need time to lay in bed, possibly go back to sleep for 10 minutes, complain, stare at the ceiling, whatever. Then I need coffee. About 20 minutes after coffee, I can manage full sentences.
5. I think octopi are both creepy and cool creatures. They seem almost weirdly pre-historic to me and there's something about them that I'm drawn to.
6. I have no interest in sky-diving. Ever. Or bungee jumping or doing anything where I have to jump from any kind of height. At all.
7. Every time I lock the door, I do a silly dance or some weird movement so that when I am anxious, later, about whether I locked the door, I can say to myself, “Remember, you did that silly dance?” (I read about the benefits of doing these kinds of things to stave off anxiety, but can’t remember where).
8. When I was a kid, I wanted to be a race-car driver, and then a sportswriter. For a long time I wanted to be a sportswriter, but somewhere along the way I decided I didn't want to limit myself to journalistic-style writing or to sports. Still, I was a huge fan of Robin Roberts and Linda Cohn who were the women of ESPN, during my girlhood. Now, there are many women who report on sports and I think it's amazing that there is a new generation of women voices in sports. Not near enough, of course, but still some progress is being made.
9. I most admire kindness, intelligence, a sense of humor in other people. I despise lack of self-awareness, ego, and pretentiousness.
10. A line from one of my favorite poems and that I use as a kind of mantra: Bukowski's The Laughing Heart: your life is your life. know it while you have it. you are marvelous the gods wait to delight in you.
It's also the only poem I still have memorized.
11. I have a signed copy of To Kill a Mockingbird that my father gave me. It's one of my favorite things I own.
12. My favorite food has feta or goat cheese. I love mediterranean flavors and I really love cheese.
13. Something I wish I learned sooner: What others think is not nearly half as important as what you think of yourself. Also: Kindness is better than whatever not being kind gets you.